Name:
Location: Greenville, North Carolina, United States

www.orronline.com

Monday, October 23, 2006

The browser wars continue... Microsoft has just released Internet Explorer 7 and if all goes according to plan, Mozilla should be releasing Firefox 2.0 next week.

IE 7 seems a big improvement over 6. It finally brings tabbed browsing to IE (one of those features you don't know how much you like until you're used to it). It's supposed to also provide enhanced protection from phishing and similar security threats. It got a facelift to look more like the new version of Office as well.

Mozilla promises some pretty cool features too- my favorite is the ability to restore an open web page when your computer does an automatic restart. It's quite annoying to have several tabs open and find that Windows did an automatic reboot and have to pull them all back up again.

As long as there are multiple companies competing on web browsing technology, that should provide us with some good quality products. We benefit by seeing them compete to provide better features and innovatations, thereby continuing to push forward with better technology.

-JRO

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I currently have both Windows Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox on my labtop, but I prefer to use Mozilla Foxfire. I like using the Run feature on the Start Menu and when I use Internet Explorer it will replace the current window with a new one and with Mozilla Foxfire I can have many windows open with the tabbed feature and it won't close the previous window. I have also found that Mozilla has a better pop-up blocker and other protection features than Windows Explorer. I'm thinking of trying out the new versions and seeing if they're any different from the versions I already have and see which I like better.

8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The new version of Mozilla Firefox has been my favorite browser so far from the many that I have tried so far. Though its compatibility with the ECU site and other Microsoft sites is some what lacking. So far it does seem, to load webpages at a faster pace then IE does, especially image intensive pages.

5:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My parents have a Carpet installing business and they never use computers. My mom is old fashoned all she uses is a calculator for the financing. The only up to date machine she uses is a fax machine. So there are some small business that do not have to use computers.

12:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's true, computers are everywhere. Don't get me wrong, I love some of the advantages advance technology has to offer. However, the thought of machines having such a great amount of power over people is scary. It makes me wonder, if enough will ever be enough.

5:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been using the internet since I was a kid and as long as I can remember, I have been using Internet Explorer or Netscape. Now that Netscape has somewhat died out, Mozilla comes about, but Interent Explorer has held strong with new updates and features that are easier to use. The fast page loads and compatability with almost any website software have kept me an Internet Explorer user since web browsers were created.

6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home